Miyagi Oysters Served with Cucumber Mignonette Sauce
Miyagi oysters originate from the Pacific Coast of Asia and have been harvested in Japan for many decades. However, in recent years this type of oyster has been introduced in North America among other popular farming locations around the world. At Farm-2-Market, we source our Miyagi oysters from Point Reyes and Tomales Bay in California.
Our Miyagi oysters are cultured in floating bags which sit amongst a dense layer of algae just as this species does in its natural habitat. The result is a dark-colored outer shell that encases a large, meaty oyster. This species boasts a soft texture and a combination of sweet and salty flavors with a hint of brine. The strong flavor profile and large size of this oyster make it the perfect base for a delicious mignonette sauce. The following is the perfect oyster recipe to serve at your next dinner party.
Recipe for Miyagi Oysters with Cucumber Mignonette Sauce
- ½ cup of rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 shallot
- 1-inch portion of fresh ginger
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 12 Miyagi oysters
- Breadcrumbs to serve
- To make the cucumber mignonette sauce, first, peel and mince the shallot.
- Next, peel and grate the fresh ginger and Persian cucumber.
- Finally, simply whisk together the rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, shallot, ginger, cucumber, maple syrup, and fresh cracked pepper until combined.
- Using a shucking knife, slide the tip in between the first oyster's shell halves, moving the knife around the edge to carefully pry it open. Pull the muscles until you are able to tear the flat shell off and discard it, leaving the oyster on its half shell. Continue to shuck all 12 oysters and keep them from tipping over by serving them on a bed of breadcrumbs.
- Serve the oysters with the mignonette sauce immediately after shucking.
Find the Perfect Oysters to Pair with Any Recipe at Farm-2-Market
At Farm-2-Market you can order seafood online and have it shipped in temperature-controlled containers overnight. Our California Miyagi oysters are just one of many species that we source from some of the top harvesting regions in North America.
Whether you're looking for Canada Cup oysters to add to a hearty oyster stew or Penn Cove Select oysters to add to a fresh citrus salad, we will ensure safe, reliable shipping and fresh products every time you order our seafood online. Contact us today to place your order!