Maryland She Crab Soup Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 celery stalks, minced
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- Lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pound Jumbo Lump or Dungeness Crabmeat
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and saute the onion and celery until soft.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, stir, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, mace, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and a splash of lemon juice.
- Simmer briefly.
- Add the cream and milk and heat almost to scalding, stirring constantly.
- Add the Jumbo Lump or Dungeness Crabmeat and stir.
- Heat just long enough to warm through.
- Add the sherry wine and serve at once, garnished with paprika and chopped parsley.