Foie Gras Saute with Onions and Apples Recipe
- 15 leaves fresh spinach
- ½ c tarragon or white wine vinegar
- 3 T sugar
- 4 T Butter
- ¾ c thinly sliced white onion
- 1 Granny Smith or green tart apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 c white wine
- 2 thick slices fresh foie gras, about 2 ounces each
- good sea salt
- Preheat oven to 170f. Warm serving plates.
- Bring 3 c. water to boil. Blanch spinach leaves in water and drain on paper towels. Let stand at room temperature.
- Put vinegar and sugar in small pan and reduce over high heat, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat butter in another pan over moderate flame. Add onions and a pinch of sea salt.
- Saute fo 5 minutes. Add vinegar/sugar mixture and continue to cook until thickened. Set in oven to keep warm.
- In a separate pan heat white wine until almost boiling. Poach apple slices in wine for
- 2 ½ minutes. Drain and hold warm in the oven.
- In a small sauté pan over high flam, sauté the foie gras slices until browned on both sides and soft in the center. Place on paper towels to drain and keep warm.
- On warmed plate place half of the blanched spinach leaves. Place a mound of onions in the middle and sliced apples around that. Place the foie gras slice on top of the onions. Sprinkle with a scant pinch of sea salt and serve immediately.