Chilled Clam and Mussel Salad Recipe
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels
- 1 1/2 pounds small clams,
- 4 shallots, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons Sherry vinegar.
- In a six-quart Stainless Steel pot, combine the wine, mussels and clams and bring the wine to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and cook just until the mussels and clams open, about five minutes. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the heat, strain and reserve the liquid.
- Discard any mussels or clams that do not open.
- Arrange the mussels and clams in a shallow bowl large enough to hold them comfortably.
- In a small saucepan, combine the strained cooking liquid and the shallots and cook over high heat just until the shallots are soft, about five minutes.
- Add the vinegar, cook one more minute, then pour the sauce over the mussels and clams and toss.
- Chill for several hours and serve with plenty of bread and white wine.