Grilled Blue Point Oyster Recipe
Blue Point oysters are widely available in the U.S., taking on a variety of flavors due to their mild taste. At Farm-2-Market, we source our top-grade Blue Point oysters from Long Island Sound, Connecticut. This meaty selection is great for grilling and enjoying with a simple garlic-butter combination. Oyster lovers can however find a wide range of oysters harvested in regions all over North America in our online market and replace the Blue Point oysters in this recipe for another breed if desired.
If you are looking for a decadent lunch recipe or an impressive appetizer for a dinner party, this simple grilled Blue Point oyster recipe is the perfect choice!
Grilled Blue Point Oysters
- 12-16 fresh large in-shell Blue Point Oysters
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- Before grilling the oysters, clean the outside of their shells by running them under cold water and carefully scrubbing off excess mud, broken pieces of shell, and other debris.
- Once you have cleaned the shells, place the oysters in a large bowl, and refrigerate them immediately.
- Finely chop the cloves of garlic and set them aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the garlic and continue cooking, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes to prevent the garlic from browning.
- Once you have made the garlic butter, set the saucepan aside and bring your grill to high heat.
- Remove the oysters from the refrigerator and discard any oysters that are not tightly closed before you begin placing them on the grill.
- Using a pair of tongs, carefully place the fresh oysters on the grill with the round side of the shells facing down.
- Once you see the oyster shells pop open slightly, remove them from the grill and use a shucking knife to open them.
- Remove the oysters from their attached muscle and scrape the round, bowl-shaped side of the shell so that it is clear before placing the oyster back in this side of the shell. The top shell can now be discarded.
- Place the oysters back on the grill, dividing the prepared garlic butter between them and tipping each of the shells so the butter spreads to the edges. Continue grilling the oysters until the butter produces a golden brown color.
- Just before removing them from the grill, add some grated parmesan cheese to each oyster to taste.
Serves 2-3 people.
Contact us today to order fresh Blue Point oysters straight to your doorstep!