Spicy Oyster “Escabeche” Recipe
Yield: 12 portions (or 2 portions for 6)
- 12 Medium size shucked Pacific Northwest Oysters
- - with 1 to 1 ½ cup of the “oyster liquor” strained and reserved 3 pieces of chives (sliced thin)
- 1 clove of garlic-crushed, then minced
- 2 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- dash black pepper
- dash salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of cilantro minced
- ¼ t hot pepper sauce
- Shuck Oysters. Pour the oyster and any juices into a small bowl.
- Mince all the vegetable ingredients into very small pieces.
- Place all the minced items in a bowl.
- 4Drain Oysters leaving “liquor” in the bowl.
- Mince the Oysters larger than the vegetables.
- Add everything into the bowl with reserved Oyster “liquor.”
- Add all the other ingredients, including the juice of the lime and lemon.
- Add water and to taste for salt.
Allow to marinate in refrigeration or on ice until very cold. Serve in small iced glasses just before dinner.