Enjoy the Holidays with Fresh Oysters
The holidays are a wonderful time to gather around the table with friends and family, but after a few hardy turkey dinners, all of the traditional food can grow tiring. Oysters are a great option for a simple, fresh holiday meal.
Quick and easy preparation
Oysters can be served fresh by simply shucking them and laying out a few toppings such as a mignonette sauce and a few lemon wedges. This is a simple way to satisfy a large group of people without spending all day in the kitchen.
A lighter option
With all of the turkey dinners and holiday treats abound, people often find themselves craving a fresh, light meal during the holidays. Oysters can be served fresh on the half shell or prepared as a more complex dish for a filling meal. Additionally, seafood markets offer a range of unique oyster options worth indulging in all year long, from meaty Sunset Beach oysters to flavorful Olympia oysters.
A fresh oyster salad recipe
What you’ll need:
- 30 Pacific Northwest Oysters (scrubbed)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- 1 head curly endive
- ½ cup extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat broiler
- Place the oysters deep shell side down, on a sheet of aluminum foil on a baking sheet until the shells open, approximately 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the oysters from the shells over a bowl, saving the excess liquid. Hold Oysters in the refrigerator.
- Boil water and place the carrots in for 25 seconds. Remove the carrots and place them on a paper towel to dry.
- Wash the endive and discard the outer leaves. Tear the leaves into small pieces and dry them on a paper towel.
- For the dressing, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Strain the excess juice from the oysters and add it to the dressing.
- Toss the endive leaves in a bowl with enough dressing to moisten them, reserving some of the dressing for the oysters.
- Divide the salad into 6 portions.
- Sprinkle carrot rounds on endive leaves.
- Dip each oyster in the remaining dressing and divide them between salad portions.
Shop Oysters & Fresh Seafood Today
To order fresh oysters for the holidays, shop or contact our Farm-2-Market team today!