Two Ways to Successfully Cook Lobster
Lobster can be a daunting dish to prepare for the first time. Fortunately, there are two techniques that you can use to cook this fresh seafood, that will make a great foundation for any lobster recipe, and impress your friends and family at your next dinner party.
Continue reading for Farm-2-Market’s two step-by-step guides to preparing perfectly cooked lobsters every time!
How to Cook Lobster
- In order to boil your lobsters, you will need a pot, which is large enough to completely submerge the lobsters in water. It is important to add enough salt to the water before adding the lobsters to bring out their natural flavor. The experts at Farm-2-Market suggest adding approximately ½ cup of salt per gallon of water for the optimal flavor profile.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil before adding the lobsters.
- Carefully remove the rubber bands from your live lobsters, and insert them into the boiling water, head first. Be careful to avoid dropping all of your lobsters in the water at one time.
- Bring water back to a boil and cover for 10 minutes for the first pound of lobster, adding six minutes of cooking time for every additional pound.
- Carefully remove lobsters with tongs and submerge them in a deep container of ice water with the legs facing upwards. Once you boil these delicious crustaceans, you can enjoy them in any lobster recipe!
- For this method, you will need a pot that is large enough to fit all of the lobsters without crowding them.
- Add just up to three inches of water to the pot with ¼ cup of salt, allowing it to come to a rolling boil, which should produce enough steam to cook your lobsters.
- Add the lobsters and cover the pot, allowing them to steam between 14-22 minutes depending on size.
- Plunge the lobsters into cold water once they are done steaming, and use them in a variety of seafood recipes.
For an extra burst of flavor, seafood lovers can opt for our signature lobster boil recipe. Alternatively, cooked lobster meat can be used in a variety of recipes such as our recipe for lobster rolls. The options are endless once these basic cooking techniques are learned.
Seafood lovers can explore delicious options such as our live Pacific spiny lobster or our New England Homarus lobster, and have them delivered straight to their door. Visit our website to learn more or call us today at 800-477-2967!